Friday, May 28, 2010

Swingers (1996)

Swingers

Every so often a small budget film explodes onto the scene. Careers are made, catchphrases are created, a new style of music, dance or clothing is invented (or an old style is re-invented) and lots and lots of money is made. Yeeha!

Swingers came out and did all of the above. With a budget of approximately $200,000, it went on to gross twenty times that amount domestically. It brought back swing music, swing dancing and those stylish cat clothes. We were introduced to the phrases "you're so money!" and "beautiful babies" while "wingman" was first used to describe a male friend who helps you pick up a woman. Jon Favreau wrote the screenplay and went on to direct Elf, Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Vince Vaughn came out of nowhere and became a huge hit with movies such as Old School, Wedding Crashers and The Break-Up. Doug Liman, the director, went on to helm The Bourne Identity and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

If you're not familiar with the movie, the first thing you have to do is check it out. It's that good. Completely lives up to the hype. As a sneak preview, the movie is about two friends who try to navigate the choppy waters of dating in Los Angeles. One is definitely a player (Vince Vaughn) and one is lovesick over the break-up of his last girlfriend (Jon Favreau). Even though the movie is contemporary, the vibe is all retro-swing; the music, the clothes, the drinks and of course, the dancing.

One of the bars that they frequent is an actual lounge called The Dresden Room. It's located in the Los Feliz neighborhood of L.A. and is almost exactly as it appears in the movie.

I recently went there on a Wednesday night. There was no cover. You just walk in and find a seat. It's best to go early because even on a weeknight, the place filled up quickly.


I got there around 9 and didn't have any trouble getting a corner booth. The place was all vintage; faux rock walls, naugahyde booths and lighting fixtures that were straight out of the 50s. I've heard that the crowd is generally described as "hipster" and I suppose on this particular night, it wasn't any different. There were quite a few people who had a sense of style but I'm sure that if you wanted to show up with bedhead and wear a hoodie, you probably wouldn't have felt out of place.

Of course, the bar was very dark and so taking photos was a bit of a challenge. I was also trying to look cool (which can be a difficult task for me) so flashing my camera around was not what I wanted to do.

Mistake me for a tourist? I think not!


Okay, here is my Swingers photo. I am holding my cocktail of choice (a vodka tonic) and showing off my big Daddy-O smile.


In the movie, our group of guys entered The Dresden and a lounge act was playing. This act is none other than Marty and Elayne and this duo has been at the Dresden since 1982. You can still hear their music from Tuesday through Saturday from 9pm till 1:15am.

The night I was there, they were there just like they were in the movie. I didn't recognize all the songs they played but I did know the standards such as Volare, New York, New York, The Girl from Ipanema and Fly Me to the Moon. The volume was perfect; not so loud that you couldn't talk but not so soft that it faded into the background.


The drinks were of average size and quite frankly, I've had better. We also had some calamari which was decent but not exceptional. For two beers, two cocktails and a plate of calamari, the total was $36.22. Not bad for L.A. especially with live entertainment.

HOW TO GET THERE: The Dresden Room is located at 1760 N. Vermont Avenue in the Los Feliz district of L.A.

WORTH THE TREK: 8/10 if you're in the neighborhood and want a cool oasis where you can catch some mellow tunes. For me, it was a trek over the hill and I can find cheaper places with an equally smooth vibe in my own neighborhood. With that in mind, I take it down to a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment